Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Kite Runner


I didn't think i would post anything today. Today is the first day of my holiday week - a week i've taken off from work as compensatory leave... ;-) I had decided that i would not touch a computer for one whole week. But i just finished reading this amazing novel and i need to desperately tell somebody about it. So. Here i am.

I don't know how many of you have read this one 'The Kite Runner' by Khaled Hosseini. It's a story set in Afghanistan and there may be many like it in the market today, I don't know. I guess Afghanistan has been a 'happening' place over the last 5 years. Many people write about it today. It is a fashionable setting for a story in these troubled times.

This book is a tale of guilt, a guilt that began with the author as a young boy and stays with him throughout his lifetime. It is beautifully written. I've never reviewed a work of fiction before but i felt a pressing need to write something about this book. The best part of the story is that at no point of time does it feel like a story. The characters come alive, the pages seem to turn on their own. There is no pretension by the author, he is not writing to impress anybody. He is writing because he has a story to tell.

I thought initially that i would write something about the story in this post. But i cannot. It would spoil the story for you. But don't miss this one.

6 comments:

Vidya said...

I knew you'd write something about it....

Caffeinism said...

Ok shall try to read it...cos i know u r review will never be a let down.

Harini said...

>>>caffeinism
;-) let's try to meet up some time soon!! reading ur blog has made me miss our conversations more than ever... !!

Caffeinism said...

Sure Gal anytime :-D

Kathir Sid Vel said...

Hey! I agree with Ya! Great Book! Thats one book that I closed reading and tears rolled down my cheeks! I'd Call it the most emotional book that I've ever read. The parts that I loved were the ones of his teenage and college days in America. His relationship with his father turning friendly, his father getting him fixed up with that girls family before he dies! Deep emotions! Some thing like the Godfather. Godfather has cold emotions though! I wasnt much interested in the Taliban and other stuff. I dont have much interests in that area of life. I really cant say what I think about terrorism. I used to say as everybody says, "Its like animals. They have no heart". But thats not what I really feel. Terrorism is an accident causer. Its like any faulty break in a car or a ice berg in the sea! You better hope not to trip on it. Anyways, Liked your writing. I am from Chennai too. I love to write but dont do much. But I have a blog that you might like to read. Have a look at it. http://rayman.kathirvel.com. Drop comments if you got any! vkathirvel@yahoo.com

Harini said...

Thanks :-)